I don't have pics uploaded from my sister's wedding yet, but I thought I would post something today anyway.
Have you heard of the Hinckley Challenge? I got an invite on my Facebook account back in January after Pres. Hinckley died. I'm not sure who came up with it, but I thought it was a good idea. The challenge was to read the Book of Mormon in 97 days, honoring the 97 years of Pres. Hinckley's life. I'm not usually one to take on challenges. They seem more like nice suggestions to me. And I have an especially hard time taking on challenges that involve reading the scriptures. When Pres. Hinckley made the challenge a few years ago to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year, Chad thought we should do it. I wasn't too thrilled about it. It ended up being a good experience, but I didn't feel the peace and strength that I've heard the leaders of the Church mention before.
So, why did I do this challenge? I can't really say. I saw the invite and figured it could only help me spiritually. So I did it. Well, with the wedding and all the craziness of the weekend (I was supposed to finish on day 97--May 10th), I didn't finish it on time. But I did finish it today. So I read the Book of Mormon in 99 days. That might seem like nothing to some people, but I'm pretty pleased with my accomplishment! And I gotta say that I did feel the peace that has been attributed to reading the Book of Mormon. Whenever things really got frustrating for me or when I felt like I was at my wit's end being a mom or a wife or just with life, I could sit down and read. And the longer I read, the better I felt. And it was the greatest calming influence on me. Others might not have noticed any change, but I felt it.
I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, along with the Old and New Testaments and the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price (I'll have to conquer the latter books in the coming months!). I know that reading it will bring comfort and peace. It amazed me the passion people in the Book of Mormon had for the Gospel. What would I be like if I felt that strongly about what I knew to be true? I think life would be so fulfilling. That's something to work toward.
Anyway, just thought I would share my experience. I'm so glad I took the challenge.
4 comments:
Thank you, Ginnie. Maybe I'll have to try this challenge too--I need more peace in my life! You inspire me!
I'm so proud of you ... thanks for your good example!
Mom
you go girl..maybe i should have done it! i definitely need a little bit of help in that category!
Good for you. Maybe I should try that.
-- Melissa
Post a Comment